Effective Date: January 25, 2020
Welcome to Syndesy (the “Company”).
Collection of Information
Syndesy collects two types of information from you: personally identifiable information (“PII”) and non-personally identifiable information (“non-PII”). We also collect the information you may input into various portions of the application that allow you to create content, such as in the journal section. Based on your input, this information may be considered PII or non-PII.
Personally Identifiable Information
When you use Syndesy, we collect information you provide directly to us, such as your first and last name, date of birth, your image or photo, residential address, mobile phone number, email address and password, and the unique PIN and Emergency code that you create as part of the application. You will be required to turn on or otherwise permit geolocation functions on your mobile phone when using the application. Syndesy will collect GPS data as part of your use of the application. The information that you provide directly to use and the GPS data collected through Syndesy will identify you, and is therefore considered personally identifiable information (PII). In addition, Syndesy will collect information that you provide and will date and time stamp that information. For example, when a request is agreed to by two individuals Syndesy will collect the date and time stamp of when any agreement was formalized and record the identity of both parties as provided during the registration process, and therefore is considered personally identifiable information (PII). Any withdrawal or rejection of consent will also be collected in a similar fashion.
Non-personally Identifiable Information
Syndesy may gather and store information about your visit, such as your IP address, type of browser and operating system used, date, time and the location from which you accessed our website or the mobile application. This information will not identify you, and is therefore considered non-personally identifiable information (Non-PII).
Third Party Service Providers
We allow analytics companies to use technologies to collect information about our users’ usage of the application. These companies analyze this information to help us understand how our mobile application is being used in order for us to provide better services to you. Analytics companies may use mobile device IDs, which is a distinct number associated with an individual mobile phone. Device IDs cannot be deleted.
Third Party Advertisers and Third Party Organizations
Syndesy is currently ad-free. If we decide to include advertising into our website or application, we will provide an update to this section. We do, however, include pointers to organizations that have neither endorsed our product nor have paid to advertise their organization’s service in or application. The inclusion of links or pointers to particular organizations is not intended to reflect their importance, nor does Syndesy intend it as an endorsement of them. These links to other organizations are provided for informational purposes only.
Use of Information
We may use your Information for various purposes, including to:
- Provide, maintain and improve our Services;
- Respond to your comments, questions and requests and provide customer service and support;
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities in connection with our Services;
- Prevent fraud or potentially illegal activities (including, without limitation, copyright infringement) on or through the Services;
- Protect the safety of our users, our company, or members of the public;
- Perform analysis regarding how you use the Services or any part thereof;
- Enhance the Services, including to build new features; or
- To help understand your needs and provide you with better service.
Sharing of Information and Disclosing of Information
- With service providers that we have engaged to perform business-related functions on our behalf. This may include service providers that: conduct research and analytics; provide customer, technical or operational support; host our Services; maintain databases; or otherwise support our Services.
- With third parties in order to investigate, prevent, or take action (in our sole discretion) regarding potentially illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to any person, us, the Services, or violations of our policies to verify or enforce compliance with the policies governing our Services.
- If we believe that the disclosure of information is necessary to comply with any applicable law, regulation or legal process, or as otherwise required by any applicable law, regulation or rule;
- In response to legal process, for example, in response to a search warrant, court order or a subpoena, a law enforcement or government agency’s request or similar request;
- In an exigent circumstance to protect the safety or security of any user of our application, or member of the public;
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company; or
- With your consent or at your direction.
We have put in place commercially reasonable measures to help protect your Information from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction. However, no security or encryption method can be guaranteed to protect information from hackers or human error.
You may update the PII you have provided by accessing the Edit Profile feature within the Syndesy application.
Most device browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your device browser to remove or reject browser cookies. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of certain features of Syndesy and our Services. “Cookies” are small identifiers sent from a web server that are stored on your computer’s hard drive for the purpose of identifying your browser during interaction on websites. Cookies are also used to identify your mobile application(s) and interaction with that application. Cookies may be used to store items such as identifiers and user preferences. While you may have set your browser to Do Not Track (DNT), Syndesy’s technology will not respond to that setting at this time.
With your consent, we may send push notifications or alerts to your mobile device to provide services such as service updates, connection requests, or requests to confirm location or identity.
EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
Syndesy is governed by and operated in accordance with US law. Syndesy follows the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). If you would like to access, review, update, rectify, and delete any Personal Information we hold about you, or exercise any other data subject to the rights available to you under the EU GDPR, you can email us directly at GDPR@syndesy.io. Our privacy team will examine your request and respond to you as quickly as possible.
Syndesy has appointed an internal Data Protection Officer (DPO) for you to contact if you have any questions or concerns about Syndesy’s personal data policies and practices. Syndesy data officer’s contact info is set forth below:
Jody Savin at GDPR@syndesy.io
Syndesy may charge a reasonable fee in accordance with the requirements set forth in the GDPR for information requested by you regarding any information we hold about you.
Please note that we may still use any aggregated and de-identified Personal Information that does not identify any individual, and may also retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
California Residents — Your California Privacy Rights
California’s “Shine the Light” law, Civil Code section 1798.83, requires certain businesses to respond to requests from California customers asking about the business’ practices related to disclosing personal information to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. Alternately, such businesses may have in place a policy to not disclose personal information of customers to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. We have such a policy in place.
Information Related to Minors
You are not authorized to use Syndesy unless you are at least sixteen (16) year of age or older. Syndesy is available to users who are sixteen (16) years of age or older and are not directed to individuals under the age of sixteen (16). In addition, we do not knowingly collect personal information from individuals under sixteen (16) years of age. If we discover that a minor under the age of sixteen (16) has provided us with personal information through Syndesy, we will immediately delete that minor’s personal information.
No Rights of Third Parties